Micaela at 7 months...just a baby!

So just recently Caleb has made a discovery. He has now decided that he wants to have another baby. In the next twelve months. With an average 40 week pregnancy that would suggest I need to get pregnant this month or next month. I told him there is absolutely no way this is going to occur. My favorite response is when I tell people (like my grandma,) they get all excited, like just because Caleb wants a baby means we must be having a baby. Whenever someone compliments us on Micaela's looks or easy-going temperament, Caleb takes all the credit because "he supplied the ingredients and I was merely the oven (no joke he says this) that she baked in." Well let me say this oven is not ready to turn on again.
For those of you who know Caleb, including myself, this may come as a surprise, because another of his famous sayings is "we can't afford the baby we have." But I, with my budding therapeutic mind, have discovered the reason for his sudden change of heart. Ok so not only does he want a baby, but he really wants a boy. It is important to note that we recently watched a movie which portrayed a very strong relationship between the main character and his father, and then the main character and with his own son. These movies (like Real Big Fish) really remind Caleb that he doesn't have a father, and therefore lacks the father-son relationship. My thought is that it would be therapeutically beneficial for Caleb to have a son, which would enable him to experience the father-son relationship. I also know that many men (and women) who have horrible parents are reluctant, yet desirous to have children because they yearn for that healthy child-parent bond and the opportunity to prove to themselves that they can be good parents, regardless of their upbringing.
When I approached Caleb with this idea he said " well I really just want a boy I can play sports with..." I told this to my mother, in all her infinite wisdom and someone who as time passes truly shows that she "gets me." She responded with "exactly what you said."
P.S. I still hope that our next baby is a girl...look at how cute they are!
Labels: psycho babble, The Fam


posted by Michele at 10:33 AM
When my mom was 40 and had a son, a guy in the neighborhood approached my dad, a guy we didn't like and referred to as, "Dick and he is one", and said to my dad, "Isn't it great you have a son. Now you have someone you can play catch with and participate in sports." My dad starred the guy in the face and said, "I've got two girls who I've been playing catch with for years and their both pretty good" (Paraphrasing of course). I was very proud of my dad that day. Let Caleb know that girls can catch, too and maybe he'll give you some time to think about the baby thing. :)