Wednesday, January 24, 2007
So today was my first court appearance...ever. I probably shouldn't get into the details, but I went to court for a client to offer my "professional opinion" to the judge. I have been scared all week about this. What if I address the judge wrong, what if I stutter or forget to stand...all of these thoughts running through my head, all week long. If you have talked to me this week I'm sure you are sick of hearing how anxious I was to go to court.
So I'm driving downtown this morning and I see the courthouse. If you live in SLC you've probably driven past the Matheson Court House, and you probably haven't given it much thought, but as I drove up I was completely intimidated. I was told to be 10 minutes early, which, due to my anxiety, turned into 35 minutes early. So here I am, waiting on the lower floor for my supervisor to meet me, and I realized some pretty interesting things about myself.

1. I had a long day ahead of me and I chose to wear flat, comfortable shoes, because I didn't want my feet to hurt. I obviously forgot that I love to wear high heels and as I'm standing and waiting all I can think about is "I should've worn high heels. I would feel so much more professional wearing high heels. This jacket would look so much better in high heels." I never said I was deep...
2. I became very self conscious of my backpack. Here I am in the midst of all these lawyers and legal professionals with their professional briefcases and bags and I'm wearing my high school baby blue Jansport backpack.
3. I felt the need to gravitate towards an entrance way. I slowly started moving towards an area and began to feel a little more relaxed. Then I realized I was in the juvenile probation waiting room. As I looked around I began to notice it was full of teenagers who looked pissed off. Interesting that I would feel comfortable here...

If you're wondering I did very well and I had an overall positive experience. I'm even going to court again tomorrow. Oh and my father was very reassuring. When I told him about the bailiff he said "oh you're ok if there was only a bailiff. I've been in court where they've assigned a swat team to stand in the back with their automatic weapons. And did you know that the only people who have been shot in court in the state of Nevada were in family court?"

Labels:

posted by Michele at 9:09 PM |

1 Comments:

At January 25, 2007 at 4:41 PM, Blogger Todd and Meagan said........
Hooray for you! I am sure you looked beautiful and confident even if you were in flat shoes rather than heels :)
Two more weeks!