Monday, May 28, 2007
We spent Memorial Day weekend in Beaver, Utah. Which is about 3 hours south of Salt Lake in the country, which means away from malls and movie theatres and surrounded by cows and haystacks. I am seriously related to half of the town and they are all related to each other. I don't believe for a second that any marriage taken place there is not slightly incestuous. Unfortunately, Caleb had to miss out, because someone has to work to support this family while I wait to start my job (which will hopefully be this week!) He was missed by all my little cousins who enjoy tormenting him. I had a good time, and Micaela had an amazing time. She constantly had friends and family to play with, and became quite good at remembering people's names. We went to the park, visited the animals (I think she finally figured out the difference between a horse and a cow), went to a family reunion, and visited three different cemeteries. She particularly enjoyed picking flowers off of people's graves. We sat through the Memorial Day program, which consisted of senior citizens and young children singing patriotic songs, and tons of kids and babies playing in the cemetery. It felt slightly sacrilegious, but was done in good spirit. I enjoyed playing with my young cousins, and badgering my older (but still younger) cousins about not being married at the ripe old ages of 23, 21, 19, and 17. Yes, 17 because in Beaver it is not uncommon to be engaged and/or married in high school. As usual I forgot my camera and it ran out of batteries early on the trip, but I was able to take a few pictures.

Great-Grandpa put up this swing for Micaela to swing in...

She enjoyed it, but I think we enjoyed watching her swing even more.

My dad playing a game with Micaela

She could actually catch the ball some of the times

My "old maid" cousins beating the boys in a quasi-tennis game

My little cousin Sadie, 3 months younger than Micaela, who would never stand next to Micaela to get her picture taken!

We had a fun and relaxing weekend, but it's good to be back in the city. Although the smell of cow manure is similar to the smell of Daybreak late in the evening...

Labels:

posted by Michele at 6:10 PM |

3 Comments:

At May 29, 2007 at 6:39 PM, Blogger Nate and Bre said........
What, no pictures of Micaela and gramma or her aunts? I like asking her who is in pictures. She is just the cutest darn thing ever!
 


At May 31, 2007 at 9:05 PM, Blogger Todd and Meagan said........
So I take it you are going to move to Beaver?
 


At June 1, 2007 at 6:27 PM, Blogger Michele said........
I actually really like it there, but probably not to live. It's nice to get away for a weekend.