Saturday, May 5, 2007
Although I never thought this day would come, I am done with school!! I have been in school consecutively for 20 years, so I guess it's about time. My graduation was on Thursday. My family came to town, more to see Micaela than to attend my graduation. It's been a whole 5 days since we left Reno and they had to part with their little girl. I would say they spoil her, but it's gone so beyond that. I say she can't have any of my caffeinated soda, so my father sneaks her drinks from his. I say she can't play with markers, so my father hands them to her and opens the lids. I tell her not to go outside it's too cold, and my father goes outside with her... The worst part is that my father taught her to raise her hands and shout BYU, which she chose to do at my graduation!

The best part of the entire graduation was our processional into the theatre. After finding our seats I was searching around for my family, and I found them on the balcony. Micaela was randomly waving to people, and then she spotted me, I'm not quite sure how, and screamed "Hi Mama!" I had an intense feeling of accomplishment and generativity.

I applied to the grad program right before Micaela was born. My plan was to either go back to school or start a management training program at OSF, wait for Caleb to finish school, and then go back to school. I had worked so hard on the application, but I wasn't confident I would get accepted. When Micaela was one month old I was accepted. It then became a money issue. How could we afford this program? We had just had a baby, had gotten a new car, and moved to a bigger, more expensive place. Also they strongly recommended that students not be employed while attending grad school, because we would have intense classes and 20 hours a week of internship. I decided I would just work and wait until Caleb was in his career. Fortunately, that didn't sit well with me, and I called my mother. My mother discussed it with my father, and they both felt that I should go. They offered to pay my tuition, and help us out in other ways if we needed it. I want to thank them now for paying my tuition and allowing me the opportunity to go back to school. I also want to thank Caleb for working so hard to help support our family so my parents wouldn't have to:) Caleb has put a lot of his plans on hold so I could fulfill my goals. He never once made me feel like my career wasn't as important as his, or that there was no reason for me to go to school. He has supported me and held my hand through all of the anxiety I've felt. People have actually asked us when I am going to stop working. We laugh because we're both pretty sure we could win the lottery, and I would still work. Not to say that this is for everyone, but it's for me. I fill appreciative that I married a man who believes in me, and that I have parents who knew what I needed to do, and provided a way for me to do that. My parents have worked long and hard for their children to go to school, and I hope that one day I can provide the same opportunity for Micaela.

On that note I would like to share some good news. No, I am not pregnant. I got a job offer! Some of you may know that my internship offered me a position. There is so much I could say about the drama of that, but it's water under the bridge. I've decided not to accept that position. Which put me in a very scary place, searching for a job. Long story short, I interviewed for a job I really wanted and felt I didn't do very well. I actually cried after the interview, which isn't that uncommon because ever since Bre's wedding I have been very emotional! No, not pregnant. I was excited (and surprised) when they called me back for a second interview. It went very well, and they offered me the job. I accepted the offer yesterday. I still have to take my board exam, very scary, and receive my license, but in a month I will have a "real" job. Enough with the boring life story, here are some pictures.

Me and the wonderful Nancy. My favorite shopping and eating buddy, and one of the few people who understands retail therapy like me.


Me and Susannah, who made my WI class bearable, who is also a good shopper...sensing a theme?


Me and Angie would have been able to sit by each other if she didn't have to get married last year and change her name.


Trying to show off our little black dresses


The gang


Sarah and I didn't find each other until after the ceremonies, which was alright because I wanted her to meet my grandma from southern Utah. You know because everyone in southern Utah knows each other. They really did know some of the same people. While I'm expressing gratitude, this girl deserves some for keeping me sane at my internship. I honestly could not have gotten through this year in one piece without Sarah!


The family. (From L-R Grandma Rands, Grandpa Rands, Micaela, Kristi, Me, Katy, Justin, Mom, Stephanie, Dad, and Grandma Carter.)


My mom summed it up great when she told me she now had a relief society "good moment" to share: my daughter graduated with her masters, got a job offer the day before, and bought a new wardrobe of work clothes the day after. Life is good.

Labels: , ,

posted by Michele at 7:44 AM |

5 Comments:

At May 5, 2007 at 10:06 AM, Blogger Todd and Meagan said........
I am so happy for you Michele! What a huge accomplishment! Congrats on the new job and I am sure will do just fine on your boards :)
 


At May 6, 2007 at 1:45 PM, Blogger Annie said........
Yeah Michelle! How awesome for you to have finished school. You definately deserve a prize. Have fun shopping.
 


At May 6, 2007 at 4:45 PM, Blogger Justin and Amy said........
Congratulations!! That is so exciting for you! What an accomplishment. I am very proud of you Michele. You have worked so hard. You deserve it. And congrats on the job offer. Is it in Salt lake still? What is the plan now?
 


At May 6, 2007 at 5:02 PM, Blogger Greg and Sariah said........
Wow, CONGRATS! What a huge accomplishment to do on your own, but with a family...you amaze me. You deserve a work wardrobe and a play wardrobe. And shoes...and a purse. Make it 2!
 


At May 7, 2007 at 10:01 AM, Blogger Justin and Amy said........
And I have to say Michele- the image in my head of your dad teaching Micaela to say "Go BYU" at a U of U graduation ceremony, and her actually saying it, makes my heart happy:)