Friday, June 15, 2007
This post contains spoilers of Pirates of The Carribean.

Caleb and I have been anxiously anticipating the release of the new Pirates movie. We even got a babysitter so we could go to the "real" movie theatre, as opposed to the drive-in, and watch the movie undisturbed. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I believe it is the best Pirates movie to date. Everyone liked the first one so much, and then they were all disappointed by the second one. Not me. I'm a dark and twisty movie watcher. The first one was cute, but I found myself disappointed that everything turns out all good for everyone. That is why I have given up on romantic comedies. I can't stand them anymore. I also cannot stand romance novels. I get so frustrated with the weak woman waiting for the big, strong man to love her, which will make her life instantly gratifying and worth living for. I think anyone who has ever been married knows that you can be in love and still have struggles and hardships. It doesn't always end with happily ever after, which is ironic, as that is the name of my blog. However, it was done in irony!
Anyways back to Pirates. In the first movie the main character, Elizabeth Swann, played a damsel in distress, who was rescued and fated to live happily ever after..boring. In the next two movies the plot took a turn for the dark side. There were choices and consequences and reversal of roles. Nothing was clear cut. Which is very much how I view life. No one is all "good", and no one is all "bad". When someone is too good I begin to wonder what they're hiding, (which essentially says a lot about me,) and when someone is to bad I also begin to wonder what they are hiding.
The third movie was the best. The ending was great. It was not a happily ever after, but it didn't leave me unfulfilled. Also, I must add that I enjoyed the fact that Elizabeth was made pirate king, and really played the true hero. I also really liked it because Johnny Depp is brilliant. I mean the guy is greasy and eccentric, and still very, very charming.

Labels:

posted by Michele at 4:28 PM |

0 Comments: