Thursday, December 13, 2007
This year I have the most amazing role in my agency's holiday charity drive. Every mental health agency I have ever worked for has done some kind of sub-for-santa charity event around the holidays. This year was not different. My normal role is to chose the families that need the most assistance, assist the families in filling out their applications, and making sure things remain relatively organized. Anyone who has any experience working for a non-profit organization understands the importance of the word relatively.



This year has been quite chaotic, and at the last minute 80 families were left without donors. Fortunately, we were able to retain a mass amount of gift cards for these families, but we still do not have the clothes/toys that the families need. This is where I come in. Being the shopping extraordinaire that I am, I will be taking the donations and gift cards and buying the gifts for these children. I have never in my life been so excited about a service project. I will not be doing all 80 families, but I still have quite a few to do.



In addition to this good news, I have been selected (as the SLC rep) to participate in a statewide training funded by a grant given to the Department of Substance Abuse and Mental Health. Through this grant I was able to meet with the Director of DSAMH to advocate for the rights of children and families with mental health. Although my job is far from perfect, I feel truly blessed to have a job where I can come home at the end of the day and feel that I have made a difference for the families of Utah. Even if it is just by making sure they get good stuff for Christmas:)

Labels: ,

posted by Michele at 3:50 PM |

3 Comments:

At December 14, 2007 at 2:22 PM, Blogger Greg and Sariah said........
Good job Michele! Now that's shopping your husband can never get mad about.
 


At December 15, 2007 at 10:14 AM, Blogger Harried Mom said........
So cool Michele! I've got a Parents Magazine toy fire truck for the 2 is crowd still in the box you can also have. It was a duplicate birthday gift for Riley. Shoot me your address in an e-mail and I'll drop it off! Tiffany
 


At December 15, 2007 at 11:00 AM, Blogger Nate and Bre said........
what adorable pictures of Micaela. They couldn't have chosen a more experienced/ reliable person to do the Christmas shopping. You've been a pro for years!