Monday, February 25, 2008
Earlier this month we went on a fantastic day trip and I have been meaning on posting these pictures. I think most of you know that Caleb is a pilot, and so very close to getting his commercial license. Anyways, he has been flying planes for about 4 years now, and I have never been in a plane that he was flying. He constantly mentions that he is offended by this, but those planes are tiny! He also told me that they are way more turbulent than a jet and you literally feel every move. This, and the fact that I generally enjoy living, has deterred me from flying in a plane with him. However, he finally convinced me. So we rented a plane and away we went to spend a day in southern Utah and visit family. What really convinced me was my grandma's promised home cooked meal.
This is the plane we flew. It had 4 seats and you actually had to climb on the wing of the plane to get inside. There really was no staircase. Nothing like Fergie's plane in her music video.

A view from behind. Notice the beautiful weather...


Micaela strapped in with earplugs because the engines are loud!
The control panel. Caleb sat on the left and I sat on the right. There was a moment in time when I flew the plane. I did very well and didn't crash once.




Micaela got bored with the earplugs and decided she wanted to listen to the flight radio.



The flight was actually very smooth and scenic. Caleb is a great pilot and stuck to our deal of "no funny business" such as killing an engine or taking a nose dive. Our visit was great, but short. Micaela played with my little cousin Sadie, who is her age. They got along great until they hugged too hard and Micaela fell on top of Sadie and hit her head. Still, Sadie thought she was going home with us in the plane and reportedly cried the entire time we took off.


Aren't they cute?



Overall I have decided that Caleb really can fly a plane. However, next time I want him to fly us in a jet.


Labels:

posted by Michele at 5:33 PM |

6 Comments:

At February 26, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Blogger Adam and Andrea said........
Welcome to my world. Adam is also a pilot. He and 2 friends own a little plane that we unfortunately travel in sometimes. Did I say unfortunately, I mean happily travel in. I am ok with the bumps and landings and stuff like that. It's feeling cramp inside that bugs me. Next year after he graduates he is going to get his IFR ratings. Yahoo, more flying. Good luck.
 


At February 26, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Blogger .::still blinking::. said........
Ummm. Hello. I am totally jealous.
 


At February 27, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Blogger Harried Mom said........
Looks and sounds like it was totally awesome! I too am a bit jealous...
 


At February 27, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Blogger Todd and Meagan said........
First off, that is so cool...second off, Micaela's car seat was almost as big as that plane :) Looks like fun!
 


At February 27, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Blogger Karen Rand said........
Oh Michele. It took me I think 4 years before I went up with Adam. The rest of the family had gone, but I just could not get my nerve up. Well I finally went and it was fun and beautiful. We flew over Lake Tahoe. But I will say this. I was praying the WHOLE time we were up. It is a very weird feeling to watch your little grandchildren and daughter take off in a little plane with all their headphones on. I'll warn your mom that she will need to be very brave if she ever geta the chance to see that.
 


At February 28, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Blogger Justin and Amy said........
You are a braver girl than I am. That plane looks a little small:) I love the pic of Micaela with the radio headphones. She looks so adorable! It will be nice that Caleb is a pilot when you guys get to start flying everywhere for free!