Micaela and I have been doing a gymnastics class together for almost a year now. It's been a lot of fun and she has come along way. She is the opposite of most of the kids in gymnastics. They are all over the place, jumping off of high surfaces and swinging off of bars. Micaela is the one who will wait until I can hold her hand to cross the balance beam because you can fall off, you know! She is getting a little bit more brave, and she recently moved from the parent/child class to the 3-5 year old preschool class. I was extremely worried it would be too hard for her and that she would be frustrated and feel left behind. However, she has surprised me and she loves it! She is by far the youngest, in a class where most kids will be in kindergarten next year, and she definitely can't do everything they can, but she loves it. I think her favorite part is the fact that there are more boys than girls in her class and she is a little flirt, always choosing to share a carpet square with a boy. She recently had a "festival," which pretty much meant that the kids were encouraged to invite family to come and watch a class. I thought this would be a great opportunity to take some pictures. Keep in mind the lighting was really poor in the gym and I am generally really poor at taking pictures.
Micaela posing with the punching bag before class.

When I asked Micaela if she was excited to go to gymnastics.

Her classmates waiting for the festival to start.
This is their vault. They jump on a springboard and have to align their hands and feet. Micaela always runs so fast and jumps so hard, and then pauses to align her hands and feet.

Sometimes her little bum falls a bit, and her teacher has to make sure she is steady.

Doing it over again.

This is called a candlestick. She is supposed to be lifting her legs straight up, but she finds this very challenging when on a narrow surface.





posted by Michele at 10:00 AM