Friday, April 18, 2008
I am now officially one year older. Heading closer to 30 everyday. I remember turning 19 and thinking, yeah this isn't so fun...getting older is not so fun. However, I think birthdays are amazingly fun. Most of the time. You know there is that person who doesn't want anyone to know it is their birthday, doesn't want to get presents and what not. I find this more common as I get older..."birthdays are for kids" is a direct quote from a friend. I disagree. I think your birthday is the one time of year that you should be entitled to spend the entire day thinking of yourself and doing the things you enjoy. I also think splurging is necessary.
My birthdays tend to go one of two ways. Either they are absolutely insanely fun or they are absolutely insanely horrible. For example:

My 16th birthday was spent driving home from Vegas. So we were in the car the entire day. Also, I was convinced there would be a "special" birthday present waiting in the driveway. In fact, my mother and youngest sister had left to visit my grandma and I got a book from my parents. I'm sure I got something else besides a book, but I don't remember. I only remember that there was no car in the driveway.

My 17th birthday was spent in Great America with 5 of my girlfriends staying in a suit at a hotel. It was a blast. I mean how many 17-year-olds get to take their friends on an out-of-state trip for their birthday? My parents obviously felt guilty for not getting me a car.

My 18th birthday was one of the best. We spent 3 weeks in Africa traveling around the country. This was not exactly done for my birthday, but the trip was amazing and one of my best vacations ever. Also, my parents got me a small diamond necklace, which I had always wanted as a white diamond is my birthstone.

During my 19th birthday I had to study and take finals while my family traveled around Hawaii. Lame.

My 20th birthday was also a disappointment. My roommate tried to throw a surprise party, but I came home early and ruined it. Also two friends got in a fight, further ruining the party.

My 21st was the worst. It was about 3 weeks before I got married and Caleb and I were in a huge fight. We were considering calling off our wedding. I thought for sure we would make up on my birthday. We didn't and I spent my entire birthday planning how I would have to call everyone to cancel the wedding. Needless to say, we worked things out and still got married, but I still remember how painful that birthday was.

On my 23rd birthday I got in car accident and had to work all day. I also remember Micaela being sick that night and having to stay up with a puking baby.

My 25th was fantastic. I spent it eating sushi on the beach in Hawaii. Which is where I wish I was now...

Anyways, this trip down memory lane is to prove a point. My birthdays are either over the top or terribly disappointing. This year I wanted to have a "chill" birthday and just take the day to myself. Ok, so I really wanted to go on a vacation, but this was my 2nd choice. I took the day off work, slept in until 7:30, and went to brunch. Which by the way, is my new favorite meal. How perfect is breakfast food when you don't have to eat it early in the morning? I scheduled a massage and bought some clothes. Even though I have said I wouldn't waste money on any more maternity clothes I could not fathom an amazing day without a shopping trip. I had dinner with some great friends at The Cheesecake Factory and had the dutch apple cheesecake, which was divine. You may relate to the feeling of being so incredibly full, but completely unable to stop yourself from eating because it is just that good. That describes my experience with this cheesecake. I then finally got to watch Juno. I have been wanting to see this movie since it came out, but I never made it to the theatres. I knew it was coming out on video this week and I went to the video store the day it came out to make sure I would have a copy to watch this weekend. All week I have passed by it sitting on the coutner, and it has been begging me to watch it, but I have held my ground in deciding to save it for my birthday. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
In case anyone is wondering, Caleb delivered nicely. I got flowers and a card. The card is the most important thing for me and it has taken Caleb an awfully long time to realize that I want a personalized card for every occasion. He finally got it, and then we had Micaela and he had to learn that I also expect a card from her on every occasion, and he has to pick it out! He finally got that too this year. Micaela presented me with a card and sang a remixed version of Happy Birthday, which I think she thought meant it was her birthday. I was quick to remind her the flowers were for me! Also, Caleb bought us tickets to a play next week and arranged for us to have dinner before at my favorite restaurant that we can only eat at once a year because it's like $10 for a dinner roll. However, that dinner roll is dang good.
Overall, I think having a chill birthday is pretty good. Maybe falling in the middle isn't too bad. So happy birthday to me. I take great comfort in the fact that Caleb will always be older than I am. And he has some gray hairs and I do not. Burn.

Labels:

posted by Michele at 8:10 PM |

4 Comments:

At April 19, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Blogger Annie said........
I'll always be older than you, too.

I'll be 30 in a month -e gads!

happy birthday.
 


At April 22, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Blogger Todd and Meagan said........
I am glad that you had a nice chill birthday, Michele. I enjoyed the birthday experiences you chose to share with us. I agree with you- birthdays are a time to be pampered and splurge a little :)
 


At April 23, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Blogger Nate and Bre said........
How do you remember all that? I really need to be better about keeping a journal. I reember what we did on my 13th birthday and my 17t. Everything else is a blur. I remember your 25th, but not mine. We are going to Melting Pot on Saturday. Wanna fly to San Jose? I can change the reservations to five....
 


At April 27, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Blogger Michele said........
If San Jose has consistently nice weather I am down!