Warning: Twilight movie spoilers

Last night I, along with every teenage girl in Utah, went to go see the Twilight movie. Me and my friends have been planning this night for weeks! I was a little nervous to see the movie. Would it be as good as the book? Probably not, but I was worried I would be very disappointed. We had tickets in advance and got to the theatre two hours early to stand in line. We were even worried that once we got in the theatre, everyone would rush, so we made a game plan. Turn right and then left and get the end seats on the upper side.
So because I consider myself a critical movie watcher (as I don't make it to the movies very often with two kids and I want to only spend money on movies worth my time) and I am somewhat of a Twilight connoisseur (I have turned many people on to the books) I am going to critique this movie.
First off, I was disappointed in the screenplay. Many lines that were added to the screenplay were not in the novel and they were ridiculous. For example, Edward's line to Bella about her being "a little spider monkey" when she climbed on his back. How corny was that? Actually, I thought all of the scenes when she was riding on his back were too corny. Somehow in the book it seemed better. Same with his sparkling skin. It was just too weird for me. I also hated the part where he made her say vampire. Even in the trailers I hated that part.
However, I must admit that there were certain characters that I liked more in the movie than in the book. Jessica and Mike were both hilarious in the movie and provided much needed comic relief (see I even sound like a bonafide movie critic.) Also, Charlie was not how I imagined him, but his lines with the pepper spray and the scene with the shotgun were classic. I also loved the part where Bella left Forks, because you could genuinely feel how upset Charlie was and how hard that was for Bella.
Since I'm talking about actors here goes. The Cullen siblings were almost all different than I imagined as far as looks go. Emmet was pretty close. Rosalie was very different, but the actress did an accurate job portraying her. What was up with Jasper? I think he was supposed to look like he was struggling with hunger, but ended up looking constipated and strung out. Carlisle was way too pale and not as handsome as I imagined. I loved Esme, aka Rebecca from Grey's Anatomy, but I wish she was in the movie more. James, Victoria, and Laurent were perfect. Especially James. Now for Edward and Bella. When I first saw trailers and pictures of the cast I was disappointed with them. Even in the beginning of the movie, I wasn't as excited about Edward as the other teenage girls in the theatre. However, by the middle of the movie I was really feeling both of them. They did well and produced a good chemistry. I loved the parts were Edward was fierce and protective because that was exactly how I imagined him in the book. Lastly, I will discuss my favorite book character, Jacob. I was extremely disappointed with the actor who played him, but in all fairness, I doubt there is an actor alive who can do justice to the Jacob that I imagined while reading the book!
Now for the two worst and two best moments, in my opinion. The worst: the moment that Bella stepped into the science lab and Edward tensed up. That was ridiculously overdone and almost comical. In fact it was comical, we laughed, somewhat inappropriately. The next is similar, when Edward was sucking her blood and his eyes almost popped out of his head. Another inappropriate time that I laughed. Ok I have to add a third worst moment, when Edward was about to kill James and Carlisle said "remember who you are son," and they still proceeded to kill him.
This brings me to my best moments. My guilty pleasure in movies is fight scenes, and I absolutely loved the fight scene in the ballet studio. Especially Alice's part in the execution of James. I also loved the baseball game. I'm not exactly sure why, but I liked the special effects and the speed. Of course I also liked the kissing scenes between Bella and Edward.
Of final note, where were the Cullen siblings at prom? I wanted to see Rosalie and Alice dressed up! I also thought the soundtrack was amazing and would love anyone who got that for me as a Christmas present, hint, hint. I also loved the scenery and Forks, especially the diner. Exactly how I pictured it.
So these are my opinions and I would love, love, love to hear what everyone else thinks!


posted by Michele at 7:57 AM