I spent the 24th of July (which is a holiday here in Utah-and better yet a holiday I actually get off!) swimming, eating, and up to Liberty Park to watch the fireworks. It was somewhat of a disaster. We rode tracks and seriously mis-judged the walk from the trax station to the park, which was intensified because I was with three kids (ages 6, 4, and 2) and my grandmother who has bad knees and a hard time walking far. The fireworks were pathetic. They didn't even compare to the Beaver 4th of July fireworks. When Beaver outdoes Salt Lake we have a problem! The worst part part was a 15 minute period where I was in charge of Micaela (2) and Ryan (4). I took them over to the playground. Good thinking right? It did seem like a good idea, until we walked to the playground and there was literally about 100 kids running in every direction. They immediately ran in opposite directions and, in a vain attempt to locate one, I lost sight of the other. The scariest five minutes of my life occurred when I couldn't see either of them, and running through my head is the thought that this was the park where that poor little girl went missing last year. I finally located Micaela, grabbed her, and set of to find Ryan, who was much more difficult to find. After finding him I had the joy of holding the hand of the little boy who didn't want to hold hands and carrying the little girl who didn't want to be carried. My frustration makes perfect sense. There was two of them and one of me. I was outnumbered! In my struggle to care for these two kids I was hit with the realization that some people have even more than two kids! Some have 3 or 4, and some Utah families have as many as 8 or 9! I think I prefer my sanity for now.
Labels: Just Me, Rant